On this house in Dunellen, NJ, D & J Construction was contracted to add a 20' X 18' addition to the rear of the
house. We were also contracted to do some alterations to the existing structure. The addition was to be full
basement, although the existing part of the house only had a crawl space. This was tricky because as you'll see in
the pictures below we found that the rear part of the house was an addition put on the original house years ago, and
the contractor did a really poor job. When we began to dig, we found that the existing old addition had no footing,
therefore we had to brace the walls and pour a solid concrete wall under the existing walls. We started in late
December (because it was unusually warm) and we are about to finish up this week(Third week in April). We lost
about three and a half weeks due to the bad weather in late Febuary and March.
Seen from the pictures above is the house before we did anything to it. It was a nice house, but when we finish it,
it's sure to be a beautiful home that I'm sure the Cannazzaro's will be proud of ! The owners Russ and Susan
Cannazzaro, were very accomodating. They put up with losing the parking in their driveway(and their backyard) to
make room for the dumpsters and material. This was a tough job because we had very little room for access to the
addition area. The access was the driveway.
The excavation is finished now. We only have to get rid of most of the dirt. I hired a trucking company to get rid of
it for me and dump it at an undisclosed location. The footings are next, and if you look close to the picture just
below, center you can see that the existing footing is just debris and cement, so I'll have to build a concrete
bulkhead to support the existing walls.
The footings are formed and poured. We had some bad weather so we ended up covering up the entire hole with
tarps. With temps barely reaching twenty degrees, we had to keep heaters inside the tarped area to keep the
footings from freezing. This was one of the delays due to weather. I believe we lost about a week and a half. But
soon we were back in business starting the block for the foundation.
With the block work finished, the next step was to plaster and waterproof the foundation. An exterior drain was put
in and tied to a sump pump pit inside the basement. Backfill inspection went well and the foundation was backfilled.
The Framer had a rough start because we had three snow storms and he had a vacation set. So this set us back
about two and a half weeks. Once the framing got started, it was smooth sailing.
The roof is now on, and the electrician started his rough in.The windows and doors have arrived and will be
installed. In the next couple of weeks we will be doing the siding. We will be siding the entire house, not just the
addition. This house will be extra hard because it has a thick coat of stucco on it. We will have to shoot wood
nailers into the house so we have something to nail the siding to.
|Free counters provided by
The rough electric is started now. This includes the telephone and cable lines. We will be opening the existing wall
into the addition this week.(there were some surprises in the exterior wall).The siding is now started.
As you can see from the pictures above, the exterior is finished. The sheetrock is now finished and we will be
putting the finishing touches on. The sidewalk along the side of the house and a slab under the deck will be poured.
The last pile of dirt will be taken away. Final grading, seed and hay will be applied. And then the finished product.
Click here to see D & J Construction
on Facebook! You'll "LIKE " it!